Ecotrackers en la Reserva Cayambe Coca: La Chimba

Este es un blog para contar el trabajo de los voluntarios de Ecotrackers en la Reserva Cayambe Coca. La Chimba es una comunidad situada en el norte de los Andes, en esta reserva en la que hay páramos y el nevado. (This blog is to record the volunteer work of Ecotrackers in the Cayambe Coca Reserve. La Chimba is a community situated in the Andes, and in this reserve there are paramos and snowfall.)

Friday, November 24, 2006

In La Chimba to discuss community nutrition and new development ideas



Written by Alex Katona
I spent 5 days in La Chimba, living with a local family in the community. My time spent with them was absolutely incredible. I accompanied them to their farms every day and helped milk the cows, upon which their livelihood is based. Unlike the families in the jungle, they opened up to me and shared stories of their pueblo and their family. La Chimba has a long history of indigenous exploitation and abuse: my host parents were basically slaves for more than a decade. I was able to learn more about the land and people of La Chimba in 5 days than I learned about the jungle in the weeks I was there.

In addition to living with my host family, I was able to conduct interviews and attend a meeting of an all-women indigenous association, named after Tránsito Amaguaña. They meet 2 times a month to discuss community nutrition and new development ideas.

I had the privilege of meeting Tránsito Amaguaña and discussing her experiences and travels. Mama Tránsito, as the people in La Chimba lovingly call her, has fought for indigenous human rights for all of her life. She has even traveled to Cuba and the former Soviet Union, and was imprisoned after returning from the SU on the basis of gun trafficking. She is now 97 years old, and lives in a quaint 2-bedroom house overlooking farms and mountains. She is quite a fascinating woman, and everyone in La Chimba respects and appreciates her efforts. Without her determination, the people in La Chimba would not own the land that is currently theirs today.